Cyberfeminist Bed Sheet Transfigured
Balcony is dark flag not visible and hangs from rail inwards.
Nancy Mauro-Flude and Linda Dement wearing hologram jackets, white gloves, boots, and lapel mics, walk up to the balcony.
Spot light comes on and they unfurl flag that hangs from rail towards audience long side going down, vertical.
Ribbons hang from their stains on the flag.
N and L gesture to the flag:
L: Here is the terrain of cyberfeminism, punk, rebellious aberration and corporeal transgression. It is mapped as a stained bedsheet and now flown as a flag. We pull ribbons of wisdom from the filth of this fabric.
N: The bedsheet bears smears and stains from productive encounters, convergences and brush pasts. It has been endlessly folded, scrunched, wrung out and smoothed flat, spawning, leaching and adulterating across feminist time and creative persuasions.
L: Cyberfeminism: entangles carnality, code, machines, blood, bad language, poetry, disdain, executables and theft
embraces logic and unreason and gives the finger to binaries as it ravishes them.
N and L: pull the flag material upwards to the right stain & read the ribbon. They read a quote then drop it back down :
On this stinking sheet we find:
· g-slime from VNS Matrix reminds us “We are the modern cunt positive anti-reason unbounded unleashed unforgiving…The clitoris is a direct line to the matrix…”
· black grease from the prison lock that failed to hold Albertine Sarazin - “You can kill a body more easily than a memory”.
· Diamanda Galas eyeliner on the backstage mirror instructs “you close your eyes and you throw down, or you expand like a bat and there you are, and that’s it”.
· The gun powder residue from the hands Valerie Solanas “SCUM -- dominant, secure, self-confident, nasty, violent, selfish, independent, proud, thrill-seeking, free- wheeling, arrogant females, who consider themselves fit to rule the universe
SCUM is too impatient to wait for the de-brainwashing of millions of assholes
SCUM will become members of the unwork force, the fuck-up force”
· cigarette ash forming zeroes & ones from SADIE PLANT “After the 2nd come the next waves, the next sexes... Inflicted on authority, the wounds proliferate... They are the edge of the new edge, unashamedly opportunist, entirely irresponsible, & committed only to the infiltration and corruption of a world which already rules the day they left home.”
· Angela Davis’ pipe ash Radical simply means grasping things at the root.
· desert sand from the boots and her tiniest wooden matryoshka doll we hear the recordings of Isabelle Eberhardt
“Crime, is often a last gesture of liberty
…the vagrant owns the whole vast earth that ends only at the non-existent horizon”.
· day-glo from Poly Styrene screaming “Oh Bondage Up yours”.
· Shulamith Firestone's psych drugs ground and pressed into the weave by strong tormented fingers “It is only the failure of my plots I fear.”
· In the cellar of the Beggar Bar Valeska Gert’s high heel fragment smears in red lipstick “Because I didn't like solid citizens, I danced those whom they despised… - whores, procuresses, down-and-outers, and degenerates”.
· a rusty old séance room key on an amphetamine stained mirror of Maya Deren “I am for the real bank robber, who gets down in the deep vaults…a creative artist must be willing to rob his own bank”.
L & N final quote - in unison:
· Kathy Acker's pubic hair, soaked in the tears that mourn her “For 2.000 years, you've had the nerve to tell women who we are. We use your words; we eat your food. Every way we get money has to be a crime. We are plagiarists, liars and criminals…”
L & N cut cable ties and hook it to flag pole.
N: flies flag across the audience with all the ribbons streaming out an anointing all whom witness.
L & N: together plant flag in the pole stand on the balcony and walk off.
Flag stays flying during exhibition opening on flag pole.
The flag returns cable tied to balcony rail hanging down for duration of show, directly opposite door to gallery, very visible.